To access the Rule Editor, you must select a cube and click on the Rules tab in the cube properties tab bar. Here you can create a new rule or edit an existing one.
You can also edit an existing cube by right-clicking on the cube name in the navigation tree and selecting Edit rules… from the context menu:
The Jedox Rule Editor allows UI-driven creation and editing of OLAP rules and rule templates.
The selection areas are described below, indicated by the numbers in the screenshot above.
- List box to define the elements that the rule applies to. Options are All Elements, Base Elements, and Consolidated Elements.
- List box to select the rule form. In Jedox 7.1, only Classic form is possible.
- List box to select the target dimension.
- Gear wheel icon to select element(s):
If “Element list” is selected, the display of the inner element control changes. If you then open the “Select Element“ dialog, selection of multiple elements is possible. The elements will be added in several controls, with the matching rule syntax. Furthermore you can select “Add” with a gear wheel in the gray list to add another element to the same dimension list:
- List box to select the rule content, e.g. classic rule, marker rule, or function:
- Gear wheel icon is used to select expression or variable for the rule type:
- List box shows possible source dimensions.
- Gear wheel icon is used to select an element or a function:
- The “three points” icon offers a selection of operators:
Rule formula tree is collapsed by default
The formula tree of the source in the Advanced Rule Editor is collapsed by default from the second level onwards. With the buttons (1) and (2) you can collapse or expand all source lines.
Additionally, users can now control whether the Advanced Rule Editor panel should be collapsed or expanded by default, via right button click (3) on the Rule Editor panel label.
Other Editing Features
The Rule Editor features syntax editing, as shown in the screenshot below.
You can also enable auto-completion when typing a rule formula. To activate this feature, type the key combination CTRL + SPACE.
Learn more about the Rule Editor in a free online course from Jedox Academy! Just enter your email address when prompted, and the video will begin playing.