To create a new dimension, follow the steps in the example below:
- From the Modeler and select a database.
- Click Cubes to expand the list of cubes in the database.
- Create a new cube by either right-clicking Cubes and selecting New… or click the icon, as indicated in the screenshot below:
- The New Cube dialog appears, where you can enter a name and description of the cube. You can also select from a list of templates and select dimensions for the cube.
- Click OK to finish.
You can add your own template scripts that you can later use in the Modeler when you create cubes. Go to
tomcat/webapps/rpc/WEB-INF/classes/rpc.properties. Give the
db_tmpl.dir= parameter the path to the directory containing custom scripts as a value. Within this directory, make sure you place the script file in the
Important: If you have custom template scripts in the old location (\httpd\app\etc\tmpl), make sure you move them to the location above and set a new configuration key in rpc.properties. For example, for Windows:
db_tmpl.dir=C:/Program Files (x86)/Jedox/Jedox Suite/tomcat/custom/templates. Make sure it is an absolute path (on Linux it must be absolute within the chroot). You must restart the Tomcat service after adding a new key value or changing one.
There are two requirements for creating a cube:
- You must have at least one available dimension in the database.
- Each selected dimension must have at least one element.
Note: with Excel 2007 and newer versions, cubes are limited to 250 dimensions due to processing limitations of the PALO.DATA functions.
If you create a cube with no template assigned, you can still assign it a type after creating it. To do this, open the cube in the Modeler, go to Advanced and select the type from the drop-down list. The following options are available:
- Fact Cube – a cube containing the data used by end users. These are the facts representing the regular business activities.
- Master Data Cube – a cube containing additional information about master data, other than the dimension attributes.
- Control Data Cube – a cube containing data for controlling the behavior of the Jedox application, such as the behavior of the reports or parameters used by rules.
These types allow the modeler to group the dimensions by category, to increase the overview of the database.
You can view details about every cube in the database in table format when you select it in the navigation:
|Cube||Shows the cube name,|
|Dimensions||Shows the number of dimensions in the cube.|
|Filled cells||Shows the number of filled cells.|
|Rules||Shows the number of rules applied on the cube.|
|Rights||Shows how many groups have non-default rights assigned for the dimension elements.|
Deleting a cube
You can delete a cube by right clicking it in the modeler and selecting Delete.
Click Ok. The cube is deleted from the server
Important: Deleting a cube from the server cannot be reverted.
Learn more about creating cubes in a free online course from Jedox Academy! Just enter your email address when prompted, and the video will begin playing.