The actual currency conversion applies to amounts entered into a source currency and computes the amount in a target currency. This calculation may apply to multiple cubes having some common features required for the support of currency conversion. These common features include the following dimensions:
Version: This dimension is shared between the fact cube and the
Month: This dimension is shared between the fact cube and the
Legal Entity: If amounts are entered in the currency
LC(Local Currency), the
Currencyattributes in this dimension will be used to identify the actual currency code of the local currency of this entity.
Currency: This dimension separates input and output elements of the currency conversion. The table below defines the various elements of this dimension:
Root element grouping all input elements. The sum of amounts in multiple currencies is most likely not useful.
Aggregated element grouping all currently unused currency codes.
Captures amounts in the local currency.
Stored non-currency figures.
Other currency codes, e.g.
Captures amounts in an explicit source currency. Valid elements must include a code of three capital letters, as defined by ISO 4217.
LC > …, e.g.
LC > USD
Calculated base element showing the result of the currency conversion from the implicit local currency.
… > …, e.g.
MXN > USD
Calculated base element showing the result of the currency conversion from the explicit source currency.
Aggregated element showing the total result of the currency conversion into a target currency. This is the sum of
– the result of implicit currency conversion, e.g.
LC > USD
– all results of explicit currency conversions, e.g.
MXN > USD
– the input element matching the target currency, e.g.
– the input element
XXXfor non-currency figures.
- Account or measure dimension: this dimension defines which
Conversion Typeis used to select the exchange rate. The dimension must have an attribute
Conversion Typeholding one base element of the
Conversion Typedimension.The conversion type
~always contains a rate of 1 and can be used to prevent unwanted currency conversion, e.g. for the number of heads. The name of this dimension can be configured with the currency conversion rules of each cube using currency conversion.
- Other dimensions: the fact cube may have additional dimensions. The currency conversion is computed on base-level cells, which implies that the calculation is also computed on the base elements of these other dimensions. Values on aggregated elements are defined by the aggregation of those base cells.